Wednesday, August 24, 2011

July 31 - Mammoth Hot Springs and More!

Wow, I can't believe that as I write this - it's already August, and actually, very nearly September!  Yikes!  Where does the time go?  Well, to Yellowstone and then to Glacier - but in the meantime, to San Diego!  What?  Yup, I needed to make a quick flight home to take care of some rental business...  It was great to see my mom and a few friends, but mostly it was a "working" trip and time flew by so quickly, I didn't get to check in with everyone I'd hoped to. 

But, for now, let's get back to Aug. and finish up our Yellowstone visit...

 On the 31st, Bill and I drove the upper Yellowstone loop, going through Mammoth Hot Springs along the way.   First stop however - gotta grab shots of these lazy elkesses, lounging along the river.

 The clouds really made this already pretty valley that much more scenic.

 And there was a section (still enroute from Madison Junction to the hot springs) that surprised us, a jumble of giant light-colored rocks just popping up out of nowhere and then disappearing back into nowhere.  Just a 1/2 mile's worth or so.

 Here is a view from the upper terrace, looking down at the "town" of Mammoth Hot Springs.

 Such vibrant colors and interesting patterns to be found in the hot springs terraces!

For the first part of our drive, we were very grateful for our AC - it was in the 90s.  And let me tell you, walking on those boardwalks through the hot springs - with the whitish deposits reflecting back all that sunshine - was like strolling through an oven.  While it was easy trotting downhill (from the upper terrace, where we had parked), it did give me pause to see so many people coming back up, tongues hanging down to the ground and panting like dogs...!  But I'm not that bright and too determined not to miss a potential photo op!  So down I went - and paid the price, just like everyone else, on the way back up!

 But those clouds kept on coming, and finally they won!  Things cooled off pleasantly, and on the way back, it even rained a bit!  Loved it!!!

 I think this is called the Orange Spring Mound - pretty well-named, actually.

 And a word to the wise:  if you want to see wildlife in any national park, go to the visitor center!  At Glacier, it was bighorn sheep and a mountain goat.  And someone there told me they saw the most wildlife in the Badlands at the visitor center there.  And in Yellowstone, it's elk!  Right in town - all over the place.  Adults, babies, eating, sleeping, whatever!  They take little notice of all the people on foot and in cars, oogling and photographing them.  Except for one, who I guess allegedly got a bit too aggressive at times, trying to mooch snacks off of tourists (BAD tourists for feeding the wildlife!!!!!!  People who do this are very ignorant!  These critters often end up dead in the long run - esp. the bears but others as well).  This we heard from a cranky ranger, who was at least equally aggressive...!

 After lunch, I made a quick pass by the lower terrace.  I loved the quilt-like coloration/patterns.



 The Calcite Springs Overlook was one I'd passed by a couple times.  Bill and I were both really glad we decided to stop this time.  If you enlarge this photo and look down near the water's edge, you will see wisps of steam coming up!

Looking the other direction...

 Fireweed.  Just as the name indicates, it's one of the "first responders" in an area that's burned.  These beautiful wildflowers were pretty thick along a few hillsides littered with downed trees.  Bill was so excited by this 412th photo stop of the day that I found him napping upon my return to the truck...

 A stop for the view on our way up to Dunraven Pass.  As with so many photo subjects, so much prettier with some clouds!  (in this case, total overcast - but it was much nicer than full blazing sun!)

 Another recent (at least it looked recent to me!) burn area.

 Another scene that caught my eye.  But it was growing dark - and I paid the price for this stop too...  Paid it in blood!!!  Plenty o' mosquitoes!!!

One last photo on the way home.  Mr. Bison at riverside. 


No comments:

Post a Comment