Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Nov. 1 - Mt. St. Helens again (or for the first time...)

I went back!  In the morning, Bill and I went for a drive along the Columbia and over to Astoria, but in the afternoon, I decided to give Helen one more chance.

 More of the same-same forest.

 Ah, there she is.

Some of the surrounding land.  Areas look like the eruption just happened yesterday!

 Another view.



It is interesting though to see at least some green (however little) right near the most affected area.



Looking into the crater through the side opening that was left after all seismic and lateral volcanic activity was over.  That's a pretty big chunk of mountainside that's missing!  Unfortunately, I didn't get to the good lookout till nearly dark so I can't show much detail here.

Mt. St. Helens - at peace?  According to the USGS geological experts, the alert level is at normal...for now...


No comments:

Post a Comment