Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sept. 25 - Birthday rewind!

So on the 23rd, we moved to Radium Hot Springs, but on the 25th, I gave myself my birthday present:  I rented a car and drove back to the Icefield Parkway!  No, I had NOT had enough of that gorgeous area yet! And there was so much that I hadn't spent time at because it was too "in the middle" of Banff and Jasper - just a little too far from either place to easily reach.  I did a very long loop, going through Yoho on my way home. A long day but well worth it!!

 The cool natural entrance into Radium when you come from Kootenay National Park!  See those tiny motorcycles?  Good perspective, yeah?

 Same spot but looking the other way - towards the Kootenay end.

The Radium Hot Springs.  The various hot springs sure vary in their temperatures!  This one was cooler than I would've liked, but that did allow us to stay in for a long time!

 Here is one of those reddish spots in the dead forest I showed before.  Such an interesting look, don't you think?

Some of the peaks, where Route 93 meets up with the Icefield Parkway.

 I had to make one more stop at one of my favorites - Peyto Lake.  Hmm, that yellow bush wasn't there last time!?!



 There's my rental car.  Not as fun as my little Ford Fiesta was - and WAY more expensive (being rented out of the teeny town of Invermere) - but it got me where I wanted to go, so...!

 Fall colors and glaciers sure go well together!

 The colors were really popping at that time!

 The Saskatchewan River Crossing.

 A look at a braided river - just like Alaska!

 More fall colors.  I don't know about you, but I just can't get enough of them!

 The Num-Ti-Jah Lodge.  Opened in 1950, this neat-looking place (right on the shore of beautiful Bow Lake) was built by Jimmy Simpson (famous Canadian mountain man) and his family.  Num-Ti-Jah is pine marten in the lingo of the Stoney Plains people.  Looking on-line, I can see that this place is scary-expensive, like most of the classic places are, but what a location (and probably less crowded and touristy than Banff, Jasper, and Lake Louise because there's nothing else out there except the Parkway!)!

More Alaska-like fall colors around Bow Lake.

 A little too rainy for sitting out on this day but sure would be a nice spot on a warm sunny day!



The Crowfoot Glacier.

No comments:

Post a Comment