Monday, September 5, 2011

Aug. 3 - Once more for Lamar & the last day in Yellowstone

Hello again!  So continuing on...  Trying to make the most out of our last day in this grand park, I got up early and headed to the Lamar Valley once again. 







 This time, I didn't see as much wildlife (no bears, not as many antelope, and most of the bison were too far off for photos).  But...I did find my second cousin, Dan, and wife Laurie!!!  I had forgotten that they moved to MT upon retirement.  The main reason?  To watch the wolves in Yellowstone!  And this they do daily, no matter the season.  Actually, they told me that winter is best for wolf-watching because they move more in herds then and are easier to spot.  What a fun surprise though!!!  I also got to see some gorgeous wolves through their scope - too far for photos though, of course...

When I first met my second cous, it was as his student!  We were both astonished to realize the connection during my highschool algebra class!!!!  He not only taught math but was the volleyball coach, among other things.  Dan has always been one of my favorites, with his easy-going ways, ready smile, and great sense of humor!

 I then drove the "lower loop," going around Yellowstone Lake.  But first, through Hayden Valley, where I got to hang out with lots of bison!







 Yellowstone really does have it all - scenic beauty, weird/fascinating features, and critters!!!

 Yellowstone Lake.


And I got luckier this time and only had to wait a few minutes for Old Faithful to blow!  There were "a few" other folks there with me, waiting and watching...




 I then walked the geyser/pool loop, which was mostly on boardwalk, went by tons of geothermal wonders, and was amazing!  Now, let's see if I can decode/remember which photo is which thing!  This one, I'm pretty sure, was the Castle Geyser.  I loved the way it looked like the steam was morphing into the clouds.



 The Morning Glory pool.  It used to be blue like the flower it was named after.  There's a whole story about how people used to throw odds and ends into it and how that plugged the vents and changed the bacterial composition/production and thus, the color.

 OK, I think this was the Chromatic Pool.

 And the Beauty Pool.

 And the Doublet Pool, which is known for its fringed/scalloped edging.

 And this?  Just some of the bacterial mat in one spot.  Kinda cool patterns.

 And from geysers to kittens?  Well, I just had to include these.  These babies are so sweet!  We stopped at the Missoula Petco for dog chow and found these!  Their very dedicated foster mom was there with them, trying to find homes.  For people who used to prefer grey tigers most, we find we are now pretty drawn to the orangies!  Tractor's fault!!  Aren't they adorable?  (and yes, cutest when asleep, right?!)



And last, but definitely not least!  Our new friends, Jason, Gabo (Gabriel), and Diana!  We were neighbors at the Hebgen Lake campground and really enjoyed getting acquainted!  Gabo is a natural with the critters and needs to have some cats and dogs of his own (hint, hint...!!!).  Jason is from Calgary, but Diana is from Moneterrey, Mexico.  What a good-looking family, eh?!  And bilingual to boot!!  Super people, and we are looking forward to seeing them again when we are in the Calgary area!

1 comment:

  1. Diana Santos-SawatzkySeptember 8, 2011 at 8:14 AM

    Hey, those last guys look pretty familiar! Hehehe Nice pic, Carrie! And LOVE your blog!!!!
    Your photos are SPECTACULAR! It's funny how I took "the same" pics at Yellowstone, but somehow mine didn't turn out amazing like yours. Hmmm...I'll have to tell Jason we definitely need a slightly better camera than our iPhones for our next trip, plus A LOT of coaching from you. ; )
    Looking forward to our get together this evening! Oh, and BTW, the big purple flowers you were wondering about are called "flowering onions" or "allium". See you soon, amigos!

    ReplyDelete