Wednesday, July 27, 2011

July 18 - Morning in the GTNP

For Monday, I committed to getting up at 4am and driving the 1 1/2 hrs into the Grand Teton National Park, to the spot of so many iconic photographic images - the Oxbow Bend.  Mount Moran and its reflection have graced the cover of Outdoor Photographer, etc., probably more than once!  But usually the most stunning images are taken in the fall, with the foreground trees glowing orange, snow on the mountain, and the perfect combination of clouds/light/no wind.  I did have some snow on the mountain - check.  But I really didn't get any of the other essentials (OK, so I went in knowing that it wasn't fall, but I was hoping the sunrise would cooperate - it didn't.  A case of be careful of what you wish for - I had wished for some clouds to add interest to the scene.  Unfortunately, I also got clouds in the east, blocking the sunrise!  Darn!).  But it was still gorgeous, and I loved it!!!  And the other good news?  My mosquito blocker worked pretty well!  Man, those guys were horrendous!  Fellow photographers were slapping, flapping, and clapping at the critters.  They had repellent on too but were still annoyed by the buggers flying into their eyes, etc., as was I.  So, anyways, here are several views of Mt. Moran (and the immediate area), since I stayed to watch as light finally hit the mountains in a constantly changing show.









 And here is a shot from the Snake River overlook.  Those Grand Tetons are pretty grand, are they not?!!

 And a few images from Shwabacher's Landing.



 And then from Antelope Flats Road, on the way to Mormon Row.  Loved this stormy day!

 The stormy, windy weather makes larger aperture, longer exposures difficult (or at least much blurrier than desired!), but you get overall consistent, soft lighting - and I just love storms!

And we'll end this entry with a shot of one of the four "antler arch" corners in the park at Jackson.   Not too keen on the crowds (and not too into all the fancy, pricey boutique shopping that seems to characterize Jackson), I didn't spend much time in this town!  Only driving through to get to the park!


1 comment:

  1. Carrie, these are award winning shots! I especially love the first one and the one with the yellow flowers in the foreground...great job!

    ReplyDelete