Friday, October 14, 2011

Sept. 2 - Waterton Morning

 Today was a moving day.  We were leaving Waterton.  Coming up was the Labor Day weekend - a long holiday weekend, celebrated by both the US and Canada.  I hadn't made reservations well enough in advance and so hadn't been able to book more than the 3 nights.  So we had to move on.  But I was going to squeeze out this one more photography morning!  I positioned myself by the Prince of Wales hotel, hiding in my car from the terrific winds that were also out that morning!  As usual, things started out rather promising, with some pretty pink showing up on some of the clouds, but then it petered out, never achieving its full glory.  Darn!  The funny part of this photo situation is that I actually set out my tripod and took a couple shots - before realizing that the wind was so hard and fast I would be better off hand-holding my camera!!!!!  This was the most wicked wind I'd ever experienced - the kind where you have trouble breathing if you stand at a certain angle to it!  And yes, it was freezing cold at that time in the morning and with that wind!

 So, I moved on to other locations.  I had found this spot before.  It looked like it might be where some of the postcard shots I had seen had been taken.  So I sat in the truck, once again protected from the wind, and waited for the light.





 And this is bad, but I'm not sure if this is Middle or Lower Waterton Lake, but the light was pretty there.



 More dramatic lighting.

 And busy clouds!







And I think this was Vimy Peak, kissed by clouds.  We got to see a lot of this here - the clouds right up against the mountain tops.  Seemed a closer association than usual between clouds and mountains somehow.  Sure, mountains "make" clouds and all that, but you don't usually see this kind of intimacy - at least I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment